[PLUG] carrier-grade Linux, linux on high-end networking hardware

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jan 19 17:12:00 UTC 2006

On Thursday 19 January 2006 08:44, Wil Cooley wrote:
> Also Sprach Max <slinkywizard at integraonline.com> on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at
05:21:02PM PST:
> > One company that does use Linux in an embedded capacity is F5,  it runs
> > interrupt free and offers great throughput for Loadbalancing
> > applications.
>
> The last time I managed a BIG-IP system it run FreeBSD; in '99 I used
> another and they were using BSD/OS from BSDI.

OK, but what I'm trying to find out is if high-end bare hardware is available,
equivalent to a high-end Cisco router, with TCAM and multiple buses and CPUs
and all that good stuff, and will Linux run on it. The goal is to save money
and have more flexibility than with prefab commercial box.

I would be surprised if someone somewheres hasn't hacked Linux onto a
commercial device, because there is a large second-hand market, but so far I
haven't found it.

I've been talking to various hardware vendors, and so far haven't found
anything but expensive prefab devices, with licenses and all those horrid
things. You can cobble up nearly anything from Linux and affordable hardware-
does the same option exist at the top end?