[PLUG] carrier-grade Linux, linux on high-end networking hardware

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Thu Jan 19 09:22:29 PST 2006

Also Sprach Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> on Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 09:12:00AM PST:

> OK, but what I'm trying to find out is if high-end bare hardware is
> available,

Perhaps you could give us an idea of what sort of bandwidth and features
you need?  "High-end" could mean a number of things.  For example, if what
you needed was a router to handle lots of connections but not 10Gb routing,
an IBM pSeries can run Linux and has expandible PCI bus units to accomodate,
say, ~24 ports (maybe more).  (Of course, given the cost of a pSeries and
Ethernet cards, a high-end router might cost less.)  I have never seen any
x86-based systems with multiple PCI buses and secondary bus enclosures,
but I wouldn't be surprised if they existed.

Wil
Wil Cooley                                 wcooley at nakedape.cc
* * * * Linux, UNIX, Networking and Security Solutions * * * *