[PLUG] Ubuntu-64, Chroot, PSU and NoCat

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Jan 19 18:34:04 UTC 2006

I hope there's someone here familiar with Odin
login issues because I have a real stumper.
Except this time at least I know the cause of
the problem. I just don't know the cure.

I have been using Ubuntu-64 on my laptop since
last summer, and upgraded from Hoary to Breezy
when Breezy came out. In all that time I had
been trying to get a few things working that
simply refused to run or install in 64-bit
Linux, e.g., RealPlayer, Adobe Reader 7.0 and
Flash. So last week I finally decided it was
time to bite the bullet and learn how to do
chroot. Amazingly, I actually managed to do it
from instructions on an Ubuntu wiki. Not only
did I get chroot working fine, I managed to
install Adobe Reader 7.0 and RealPlayer using
Synaptic32. Both ran fine as standalone apps,
but I couldn't get them "plugged into" Firefox.
So, after struggling with that issue for a while
I decided "to hell with it, I'll just install 32-
bit Firefox in chroot also."

Having done so I actually got Flash and
RealPlayer working now in 32-bit Firefox. (Still
haven't got a PDF viewer working in 32-bit
Firefox, but I'll work on that later.) I also
imported all my bookmarks from the old version
of Firefox. This worked so well that I went into
the Gnome Applications menu and changed the
Properties for the Firefox launch item from
"firefox %u" to "dchroot -d firefox %u." See,
I've actually learned how to do some command
line things in Linux!

So yesterday I went to PSU with my computer for
the first time since doing this. I booted it up,
launched Firefox, and clicked to go to my PSU
webmail account, expecting NoCat to pop up and
ask for me to log in. But NoCat would not
appear. OK, that happens sometimes. Poor NoCat
must be a really busy dude, 'cause sometimes I
have to knock repeatedly to get him to notice
me. But after 15 minutes of trying I decided
something must be wrong. I was just upstairs in
Smith, so I decided to go to the basement and
talk with the nice computer people. We tried
over and over, but absolutely could not get
NoCat to pop up. The Help person did verify that
the wifi was working, I had the right IP
numbers, the wifi light on the corner of the
computer was lit up, and everything should be
working. After 15 minutes of trying everything
she could think of we decided to do the Windows
ultimate trick -- reboot.

So I shut down and restarted. I have Ubuntu set
to give me a verbose list of what it's doing
during the boot. As I was watching it suddenly
the new lines about chroot scrolled by. And then
it hit me. The only thing that was different was
that I was using a new 32-bit version of
Firefox.

So after it finished booting and I was logged
in, and verified that Firefox still wouldn't
work, I opened a terminal and typed just
"firefox" in order to bring up the old version
of Firefox (luckily I didn't uninstall it). And
when it came up I tried my webmail account and
sure enough! NoCat popped right up and I was in.

So I know the problem is in the 32-bit Firefox.
The 32-bit Firefox has no problem going out to
the net at home through my ethernet to the
router and cable modem. It's just NoCat that it
isn't talking nice to. Except I haven't tried
the wifi anyplace else, so there might be a
problem with 32-bit Firefox and the wifi in
general.

OK, that's the problem. Any PSUers out there
have any idea what is wrong?