[PLUG] Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) - Standards Group

Jay Allen jay at f2it.com
Thu Jan 19 17:40:52 UTC 2006

Hi there,

     Carrier Grade Linux (CGL) is a set of technical specifications for
implementing a Linux based platform for telecommunications.  The group
gathers requirements from industry and other interested people, then
publishes the standards.  Many of these requirements have broader appeal
(like high resolution timers), but they happened to be specified by this
telco-centric group.   The implementation of these recommendations is up
to the Linux distributors and other integrators.   So there is the
specification, and the products that use it.  SuSE, RedHat, Montavista
and others, all have 1)claimed to support these features  2) marketed
"CGL" complaint versions.

    When the group was started, our overall goal was to make it easier
for telecom integrators to use Linux in products.  Also, we had basic
goals around promoting Linux in the telecom industry.   From my personal
experience, its been a fantastic success!  When I did marketing and
sales at IBM, we went from educating our customers about Linux, to
helping them build and deploy products on Linux/BladeCenter.  All in
less than three years!    Look at some of the public press about Linux
from Cisco, Lucent, Nokia, Nortel... these guys love Linux now.

    The home for the standards group is at our vary own local Open
Source Development Labs (Linus' current employer):
    http://www.osdl.org/lab_activities/carrier_grade_linux

Jay Allen
   F2 Incorporated