[PLUG] Chroot and wifi

johnxj at comcast.net johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 21 00:08:42 UTC 2006

Lately I have been using Firefox that I installed in chroot on my
Ubuntu-64 Breezy laptop. It works fine from home where I have Comcast
cable and ethernet. But away from home I need wifi and nothing installed
in the chroot environment can see the wifi.

I installed Firefox32 via Synaptic32 while at home. Later at the
university I tried to install Evolution into chroot via Synaptic32 in
order to determine if the problem with the wifi was in chroot or in
Firefox32. Well, even Synaptic32 couldn't get out over the wifi, so that
proves it right there. Nothing in chroot can see the wifi.

I should add that if I have System Monitor open when Firefox32 is trying
to get out, the network traffic display is flat-lined.

I need some suggestions. I sure hope I don't have to install ndiswrapper
within the chroot environment, because it was a pain in the butt doing
it the first time in 64-bit. And besides, how could I have it running in
there if it is already running in the 64-bit world?

Maybe I could create some kind of a link that patches the 32-bit
environment to the 64-bit world?

Any suggestions at all are welcome.