[PLUG] Chroot and wifi

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 06:45:26 UTC 2006

On 1/20/06, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 20 Jan 2006, at 16:34, Jason R. Martin wrote:
>
> > On 1/20/06, Chris Dawson <xrdawson at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I'm not exactly sure why you want to use Firefox in a chroot
> > > environment so I might be commenting prematurely.
> >
> > Because he has a 64-bit install and wants standard Mozilla plugins to
> > work.
>
> Jason, thanks for answering that for me :):)
>
> > John, do you have /proc and /sys mounted in your chroot environment? I
> > could see that potentially messing things up if they aren't.
>
> OK, I posted that earlier e-mail from the university, but now I'm
> home. I just turned on the laptop and I noticed something in the
> boot sequence.
>
> [Side question: Is there a secret key combination to pause the
> booting? I had to boot four times to copy down the following.]

You can look in /var/log/messages :-)  In fact, depending on your
distribution, there might be a /var/log/boot.log or something like
that.  Whenever you're having trouble, get to know your log files in
/var/log.

> As Ubuntu-64 Breezy boots it displays a ton of stuff before it gets
> to the graphical interface. I noticed the following and decided it
> might be significant, especially since it refers to /proc --
>
> mount: special device /media/floppy0 does not exist
> /home on /chroot/breezy/32bits/home type none (rw,bind)
> /tmp on /chroot/breezy/32bits/tmp type none (rw,bind)
> /dev on /chroot/breezy/32bits/dev type none (rw,bind)
> /proc on /chroot/breezy/32bits/proc type none (rw,bind)
> /media/cdrom0 on /chroot/breezy/32bits/media/cdrom0 type none
> (rw,bind)
> /usr/share/fonts on /chroot/breezy/32bits/usr/share/fonts type none
> (rw,bind)
> [FAIL] (in red)
>
> I'm not sure if the lines starting with / are a continuation of the
> floppy line at the start, or if the [FAIL] at the end refers to just the
> fonts line or to all of the above. In other words, are all those lines
> things that are supposed to be mounted? And if so, did they?
> Beats me. :(
>
> Note that the lines above following the floppy line were never there
> before installing chroot. But even I am smart enough to figure out
> that that makes sense.
>
> Now, as to whether /proc and /sys mounted in chroot, I typed from
> a command line (guessing at the proper syntax):
>
> dchroot -d mount
>
> And got:
>
> proc on /proc type proc (rw)
> sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
>
> So my guess about the proper syntax was probably right. (Damn!
> I'm gettin' this stuff!) But I'm not sure exactly what the results mean.

Actually I'm not sure either, since you're in a chroot environment.
An easy test though would be to run "ls <chroot prefix>/proc" and see
if there is anything in there.  It should be very similar to what is
in /proc in your 64-bit environment.

> Thanks for the suggestions so far. I hope the above gives you more
> to go on.

Okay, time to insult your intelligence, by asking if you can access
the internet from your wireless *outside* the chroot, i.e. with a
normal 64-bit app.

If so, then try to eliminate DNS issues, perhaps with just ping
(again, inside the chroot).  Try accessing an IP address.  If that
works but a hostname doesn't, check /etc/resolv.conf inside the
chroot.  There's more you could check after that if it still doesn't
work, but I'm getting too tired.

Personally, I still think you're playing with fire and life would be
much simpler if you just installed a 32-bit distribution.  But that's
your choice ;-)

Jason