[PLUG] Real-time monitoring of *nix hosts?

Eli Stair eli.stair at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 22:27:01 UTC 2006

Ganglia?

I use this <gasp> integrated with the dreaded Cacti, Nagios, and the like :)

Perhaps not exactly what you're looking for.  It sounds like you want
a combination of polling (trending long-term data) which is what all
the above tools does, with the addition of when you "click" on the
host, you get the current point in time results in addition?

You could do this with the above tools, using whatever resolution of
polling interval you want.  For instance in Nagios, you could add a
script to force a HOST_SVC_CHECK (will update all configured values
"immediately*"), and add a hostextinfo tag on the host, which can pop
up your prettified GUI (Cacti, Ganglia...) which will display all your
long-term trending with the last (just submitted) results as the last
data sample.

/eli