[PLUG] friend needs help

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Jan 22 11:34:21 PST 2006

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006, fh hillsboro wrote:

> Try DriveSavers (.com).  REALLY expensive, but they helped me out mucho
> much when I had a nasty problem during a dd transfer (scribbled on both the
> source and destination drive). Cost me about $1500 to recover my web site,
> email history, other junk (yeah, I know, but don't talk to me about backup
> strategies now). Give 'em a call and they will let you know if they stand a
> chance of success. 1-800-440-1904 (I am NOT a representative of DriveSavers
> nor am I compensated in any way for recommending them) ;-)

   Yeah, I have a "me-too" to share. Long ago and far away, in the days of DOS
and floppy tape drives, I let myself go 2+ weeks without a backup. Naturally,
that's when my Seagate ST-225 MFM drive (a huge 21M at that time) failed.
This was in the early 1990s, and a local data recover guy charged me about
$400 to get back 85-90 percent of what was there.

   I lived with what I could get, and have always backed up each day (except
the weekends) since then. No implied criticism, Frank, just my own story.
With my own business, the one thing that delayed my migration to linux was
finding a backup system that was both affordable and reliable. It took me
several months to find a solution. Yes. I am a bit obsessive about it. (Or,
is it compulsive? I get the two mixed up; perhaps that's why folks do both.)

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |   Author of "Quantifying Environmental
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)   |  Impact Assessments Using Fuzzy Logic"