[PLUG] Chroot and wifi

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 03:31:04 UTC 2006

On 1/22/06, John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
> Therefore, the fact that I can ping from chroot to an IP address but
> not to a named address may be because BIND failed during boot.
> But that still doesn't explain why my chroot environment can
> resolve names when I am at home with my Comcast cable
> connection via ethernet.

I think you may have dug to deep here.... it's unlikely that you have
a bind problem, if you did, your 64-bit environment would not work any
better than your 32-bit environment.

It's more likely that your /etc/resolv.conf is being correctly updated
by dhcp-client, while your /<chroot>/etc/resolv.conf is static.  Have
you tried copying the nameservers from your 64-bit resolv.conf into
your 32-bit version? (note that this will only be a valid test if you
do it *while* your 64-bit environment has a working 'net connection
*and* your 32-bit environment is broken.  So, perhaps this is
something to try the next time you are trying to use the PSU wifi.)

If manually copying /etc/resolv.conf into your chroot (backing up the
old chroot resolv.conf first, of course) does fix the problem, then we
can help you to make that process automated.

--Rogan