[PLUG] Using a (Pilot) Tungsten T5 and Linux

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 19:49:46 UTC 2006

On 1/23/06, Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:
> I just upgraded to a T5 and though I wasn't too surprised that it came
> with only a USB connector I now wonder what kinds of new areas I'm going
> to have to deal with.
>
> Anyone using any Linux based software with a T5 and/or have
> suggestions/warnings to offer?
>
> I just tried kpilot but with no success ( couldn't detect the device. )
>   Oh well maybe wine and the install CD next.  Then to VMWare ( I
> toasted my setup at home or would have tried this first. )

The Tungsten T5 is supposed to be supported by the most recent version
of pilot-link.

What distribution are you using?  I have had mixed results with FC4
and my Sony Clie and Treo 650.  They shipped a development release of
pilot-link which was initially broken.  They finally patched it so the
command-line tools work.  Syncing from other programs like kpilot is
still broken.  The remaining issue is that hotplug takes a long time
to create the devices, long enough that the sync will sometimes fail.
The solution I found it to manually create a device and use that:

mknod /tmp/pilot c 188 1

 - Ian