[PLUG] Strange X-configuration problem: SuSE

Robert Kopp iconoklastic at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 22:34:48 UTC 2006

SuSE has some peculiar characteristics. Some other
Linux distros, such as Debian, drop the user into text
mode automatically when X has unusable settings, but
SuSE does not:

After I installed SuSE 10, the screen resolution was
1600 x 1200 without
hardware acceleration (Radeon 9200SE). For most
purposes, that leaves
little to complain about, but I used yast2 to see if
the system would
support higher performance. When it appeared that X
would come up at higher
values, I saved the settings.

However, I could no longer get into the account where
these changes were
made. The X server was operational at the previous
settings when I logged
on as root, and I was even able to create another user
account with a
functioning X-server.

So that's where I am now. It would still be desirable
to log into the former
account, for then I wouldn't have to customize all the
settings from
scratch. There must be a file(s) in the account I had
been using which
specifies incorrect custom settings. How can I restore
the defaults?

(Perhaps all I need to know is how to disable the
login manager, so that changes can be made without X
running. Hopefully someone who uses SuSE will know.)

Robert "Tim" Kopp
http://analytic.tripod.com/