[PLUG] Strange X-configuration problem: SuSE

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Tue Jan 24 12:36:14 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, Robert Kopp wrote:
> So that's where I am now. It would still be desirable to log into the
> former account, for then I wouldn't have to customize all the settings
> from scratch. There must be a file(s) in the account I had been using
> which specifies incorrect custom settings. How can I restore the
> defaults?
>
> (Perhaps all I need to know is how to disable the login manager, so that
> changes can be made without X running. Hopefully someone who uses SuSE
> will know.)

I'm not really sure I understand the situation you're describing, possibly
because I don't use the graphical login.  I didn't know, for instance,
that it even allowed different users to have different default X configs.

But anyway, if you want to just disable the the graphical login manager,
you can easily do that as root:

# telinit 3

puts the machine into runlevel 3, multiuser with network (but no xdm).
That should allow you to login and tinker with your X settings. 'startx'
should then allow you to see if the changes you make get you a viable
configuration.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com