[PLUG] Chroot and printing

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Wed Jan 25 15:41:35 UTC 2006

On 25 Jan 2006, at 0:04, Charlie Schluting wrote:

o now I get to figure out how to get the chroot environment to
> > print to printers installed in the 64-bit world. More hard links?
>
> Acrobat is saying what it always says.. "here's a command line, give
> me the command to run."
>
> If lpr (lp) is installed in the evil chroot, just say: lpr -P
> "Big-ass-laser" (or whatever the printer name is :))

OK, tried that. The print dialog box in OO.o calls it LaserJet-8000-
Series-PS. So I appended that in place of Big-ass-laser and got
"The specified file lpr does not exist." So then I searched and both
lp and lpr are in /usr/bin, but after a while itoccurred to me that they
also had to be in /chroot/breezy/32/bits/usr/bin, which they were
not, so I launched Synaptic32 and installed lpr. At that point it
seemed to work, except nothing goes to the printer. Reader says it
is sending the pages to the printer, but the printer receives nothing.

Apparently I have the printer name wrong. I tried removing the
dashes (because I thought I remembered that when I created the
printer I used just spaces), but no go. I also tried quotes and < >
around it, but always got the same error message.

I guess I need to figure out what Ubuntu thinks the printer is called.
If I open System > Administration > Printing it shows it with the
dashes. Maybe it can't find a printer outside chroot, so I need to
install the printer inside chroot. But inside chroot all I have is
command line and Synaptic32 -- no GUI for installing printers. I'll
have to research that later -- exam today. :(

> So when are you going to test out the 32-bit version?

Not in my plans. Being a bit of a pioneer is good for the learning
experience. Learning always involves pain. I have a moderately high
tolerance for pain, as long as I'm allowed to kvetch and yell.