[PLUG] Tool To Identify Application Using Library?

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jan 27 09:07:26 PST 2006

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:

>  I know that ldd shows the shared library dependencies of an
> application. Is there a tool that does the reverse? That is, given
> the name of a shared library, return the name of the application(s)
> that use it?

You'd have to scan every binary on a system to get a full list, but
you can tell which libraries are currently in use by which
applications using lsof (here in a nifty pipe):

lsof | egrep '\.so(\.|$)' | awk '{print $9" "$1}' | sort -u

Just reverse the $9 and the $1 in the awk invocation if you want the
list sorted by application rather than library.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com