[PLUG] Anyone Using AbiWord?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jan 28 01:56:20 UTC 2006

On 27 Jan 2006, at 14:56, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I am curious if anyone here is using AbiWord for processing words.
> I've not heard much about it for a while and I'm curious how it compares
>  -- as a writing tool -- to OO.o-2.0.

I have both installed, but I live in OO.o Writer. AbiWord doesn't
have half the capbilities that I need. It can't even see OpenType
fonts installed on the computer.

I keep it for only one reason: OO.o has always had a problem with
its clipboard. Even the Windows version does not work right. It gets
"stuck" and can't see new stuff copied to the clipboard from other
applications. Sometimes it can't even see stuff copied from itself.
The workaround is to select just one space and copy it to the
clipboard. This clears the OO.o clipboard so it can see new stuff in
the clipboard. And then, sometimes it simply can't see the text
from another application no matter what you do.

That's what I keep AbiWord for. If something won't paste into OO.o
Writer I open AbiWord and paste it into an AbiWord document.
Then I select it in AbiWord and copy it to the clipboard again.
Afterwards OO.o is happy to paste it in.

Copying and pasting in Linux requires frequent subterfuges.