[PLUG] Sound recording -- not

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Sun Jan 29 22:55:02 PST 2006

Well ... for openers, do you have all the "alsa-tools" and "alsa-utils"
and OSS compatibility packages loaded? If so, open a command window and try

$ alsamixer

You should get a nice control panel. It will be sound card specific, and
if it doesn't show the sound card you think you have, there's more
configuration you need to do. If it does show the right sound card, hit
"tab" until it shows sliders for all of the gizmos your sound card has.

I'm assuming since you have output sound, there's nothing wrong there.
So right-arrow over to the inputs you're using. If it's line input, make
sure that isn't muted and check the volume. If it's microphone, make
sure that isn't muted and check the volume.

All this assumes there's only a single sound card. If there are more
than one, there's a lot of extra configuration work you need to do. I
still don't have that working right, so I'm only an expert on the fact
that it's tough to get working. :)

One other hint -- I can't confirm this as a fact, but it's logical to
me. Make sure all the sound modules in your kernel are compiled as
loadable modules and not compiled directly into the kernel.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

http://linuxcapacityplanning.com