[PLUG] Linux Clinic at Freegeek

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Mon Jan 30 07:04:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 04:14:19PM -0800, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I stopped by Freegeek on Saturday, and chanced upon Oso, and talked
> a couple of minutes about holding Linux Clinic at Freegeek on Sundays.
> He had heard about it, and thought the community council might like it.
> I am hard of hearing, and didn't catch all he said, so there might be
> some errors in what follows, but here goes:

Thanks for discussing it with him.  More support is a Good Thing.

> Oso mentioned two gating items.  First, we need to convince someone
> authorized, with a key, to be there with us.

I have arranged for that.  I have two Key people and another significant
FG community member on board.  My plan is for the third Sunday, Feb 19.
There's a shindig there the night before, so I'm planning on coming in
early to do some cleanup.

> Second, these things are decided by the Freegeek community council, so
> we need to make our pitch to them.

Perhaps.  I think it depends on whether it's a PLUG thing, a FreeGeek
thing or (other).  I was wanting to bill it as "Linux Clinic at
FreeGeek", so as to no exclude That Other Group, but it looks like
there's enough interest here to make it a PLUG thing.

One thing is that I'll have a lot more free time after Feb 10, and
I intend to put some of that time into being more involved at FG.

> The community council meets on the 3rd Wednesday of the month at
> 7:15pm ( see http://wiki.freegeek.org/index.php/Community_Council ).
> We just missed the last one, the next one is on Feb 15.  We need to
> get on the agenda for that meeting, and have what we want to say
> figured out.

Easy enough.  Folks at FG like the idea, especially since it brings in
more cool techie folks.  F'r instance, they have a space called The
White Hole just *full* of server-class equipment that they're not
entirely sure what to do with.

And I still want to try and coordinate the Clinic with Ted Havelka's
Sun/SGI/other tech sessions.

Should've given more progress reports,
  Aaron