[PLUG] Color inkjet - opinions solicited

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Tue Jan 31 18:41:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 31 January 2006 10:29, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> I'm on the verge of buying a color inkjet.  If you have any particular
> warnings or recommendations, please reply off list.
>
> Epsons are currently the favored line.  Probably make the purchase at Best
> Buy.

OK. Here's the deal. Color inkjet printing is the cause of more woes and
unhappiness on Linux than anything else. So I wrote a couple articles on the
subject to help folks. Short version: buy the right printer and you're
golden. Buy the wrong one and you're in for an expensive bad time. Samsung
and HP support Linux best of all.

Epson dye-based inks clog printer heads and cost you mega-monies, though they
are gorgeous when they deign to work right. Canon hates Linux, but the
TurboPrint drivers work great, and Canons are good print quality and
reasonably economical.

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3574866
http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/nethub/article.php/3576576

I just ran into an issue with Ubuntu Breezy where the default installation of
CUPS does not see the Gutenprint drivers. Now really- doesn't anyone do even
a rudimentary test to see if things work before releasing them?

Anyway, you can get good color printing on Linux, you just have to do your
homework before purchasing a printer.

Please note how I am not saying bad things about Best Buy. Though I want
to. :)