[PLUG] Laptop Mouse Recommendations Wanted

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Tue Jan 31 18:00:20 PST 2006

On Tue January 31 2006 16:31, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
> # from John Jordan
> # on Tuesday 31 January 2006 10:07 am:
>
> > but I'm always
> >careful to use the little switch on the bottom to turn it off when not
> >using it.
>
> My Logitech cordless optical (you would think they would put a model
> number on this thing so I could tell my friends to go buy one --

Sounds like the V200 which I recommended previously. Definitely my favorite laptop mouse of all time.

> anyway, it was about $40 and uses a higher wireless frequency plus has
> a wheel that rocks from side to side (though I haven't gotten that
> rocking bit to work on Linux))

Neither have I, but I haven't tried. I'd guess the rocking is recognized the same way the side buttons on 5-button mice are. I'm sure there's a way.

> has a receiver that snaps into the
> bottom which also acts as the on/off switch.  Snaps in pretty securely,
> so I haven't worried about that snapping bit wearing out or the
> receiver getting lost.
>
> I've had it for about a month and it seems to work well enough.  I do
> have to Ctrl+Alt+F1,Alt+F7 to get it recognized if I plug it in after
> starting X, but that's probably something to do with the laptop and/or
> my X setup.

I can't say I'm an expert with X, but on Gentoo the hotplug system handles input device hotplugging for me, no need to switch virtual terminals or restart X, it just works. As soon as it's connected the peripherals are usable.

> --Eric

- Aaron