[PLUG] Dvorak Keyboard Recommendations Wanted

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 23:23:32 PST 2006

On 1/31/06, Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com> wrote:
> Why do you need hardware remapping? Any OS will allow you to specify what
> mapping to use. Usefully this will avoid killing portions of software
> that depend on the physical layout (those parts can bypass the keymap).

In my case, I use (or have used) the same keyboard on 2-3 Linux boxes
(in X and console, with different window managers), a windows machine,
and an iBook.  All of these machines were often used by people who
required qwerty.

Each WM had it's own way of switching key layouts, only one of which
actually changed the layout globally, rather than for only the last
window focused.  Windows was the same way -- if you needed to change
the keymap from the default it meant changing the map every time your
window focus changed, *and* it meant doing the same thing again when
changing back.  OSX used a global map until 10.4, when it went the
annoying way as well.  A hardware keyboard eliminates this problem
entirely.  It also means that I can just have two keyboards plugged in
-- one does qwerty, one does dvorak.

This also means I don't have to figure out how to change the keylayout
in 7+ different situations (boot loaders, console on debian, console
on redhat, OSX, Windows, kde, gnome, other graphical environments....
etc.).

With a keyboard that supports remapping, I can also avoid the above
problems for swapping capslock / ctrl, and any other nuances.

The biggest benefit though, is just not having to mess with the
software.  It all works differently, and it isn't always available
(grub and lilo, to my knowledge, only do qwerty).  Having an extra
qwerty keyboard plugged in is also a huge plus if you pair program, or
have a sig. other who doesn't do dvorak :)

--Rogan