[PLUG] Debian Etch

Christian Bewley christian at rocksolidservice.com
Mon Jul 3 05:37:38 UTC 2006

Vram,

Try doing this (in bold):

1. nano /etc/apt/sources.list
    Step
    a. change stable to unstable
    b. put a # at the beginning of the line that indicates "security"
    this will prevent some 404 errors

2. *apt-get install xutils mdetect*
    (should give no errors

3. *apt-get install x-window-system*
    should give no errors, although I recieved an error that said
    could not get a package from the server
    I reran the command and successfully recieved the packages

4. *startx *(if x starts install a window manager like gdm or kde)
    **This is where I experienced the the configuration error
    **The screen goes black and comes back to the terminal with the error
    **Please note that if Xorg is not set up correctly startx will not work

5. *apt-get install gdm*
    (no expected errors)

6. *apt-get install gnome* or what ever desktop environment

7. apt-get install apt-buglists <<VERY IMPORTANT>>

**** You are now finished setting up the desktop reboot your system or
type startx ****

8. apt-get -f install apt-file synaptic
9. apt-file update

apt-file search (missing package)

Issues that I experienced:
    configuring the mouse: I had two options ImPS/2 and ExplorerPS/2
        *neither configuration worked
    resolved by:
        nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        scroll down to the input device type
        find the "Device"
        change the value from /dev/input/mice to /dev/psaux

STARTING ISSUES:
    issue:        My mouse would jump all over the place after my system
came up.
    resolution:    I ran apt-get -f install kernel-image-2.6-686
    cleanup:    *NOT NECCESARY* use synaptic package manager to remove
the old kernel image

    issue:        My mouse is a big ugly block
    resolution:    installed a mouse theme and applied it.