[PLUG] reconfigure X

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jul 5 21:45:11 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 05 July 2006 14:14, David Bridges wrote:
> > I get a not installed message...
> >
> > Doesn't work...
>

> > > dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
>
> Unless you are using back ports I don't believe that xorg is in sarge.
>
> Try:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

While there are a lot of commands to tell you what is installed on your
system, I like this one:

dpgk -l | grep [packagename]

For example, on my Kubuntu system:

$ dpkg -l | grep xserver
ii  xserver-xorg  7.0.0-0ubuntu45  the X.Org X server
ii  xserver-xorg-core    1.0.2-0ubuntu10     X.Org X server -- core server

Knowing what package name to look for is half the battle, so this page on
debian.org is good for Real Debian users:

http://www.us.debian.org/distrib/packages

Look in 'View package lists' to browse package lists by category. Scroll down
the page for more search options.