[PLUG] WAV files?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jul 6 18:20:53 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 11:08, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:39:06 -0700
> "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders at acm.org> dijo:
>
> > Depending on your distribution you might be able to try -- play myfile.wav
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't work, but got more error messages
> that might indicate what is wrong.
>
> First, I tried playing an mp3 in RealPlayer, because I just realized
> that I had not done so since installing Dapper. It always worked fine
> in Breezy, but now RealPlayer gives me the same error message for mp3s
> that it does for the WAV files. So something fundamental must be wrong.

A three-second Google (http://google.com) search on 'dapper .wav' returned
this link as the very first hit:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=164614

I then followed the link in Jason_25's post and found the answer. Elapsed
time: less than a minute. It's a well-documented, well-publicized Ubuntu
issue, and there has been a mechanism in place for dealing with it for ages.
Ubuntu installs with only Free software, and provides separate repositories
for users who want non-Free packages.

Dapper's habit of removing all kinds of packages on an upgrade from Breezy is
terribly wrong behavior, but the devs don't seem to see it that way.