[PLUG] WAV files?

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Thu Jul 6 20:47:56 UTC 2006

On Thu July 6 2006 11:08, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Jul 2006 10:39:06 -0700
> "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders at acm.org> dijo:
>
> > Depending on your distribution you might be able to try -- play myfile.wav
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Didn't work, but got more error messages
> that might indicate what is wrong.
>
> First, I tried playing an mp3 in RealPlayer, because I just realized
> that I had not done so since installing Dapper. It always worked fine
> in Breezy, but now RealPlayer gives me the same error message for mp3s
> that it does for the WAV files. So something fundamental must be wrong.
>
> Then I tried playing one of the WAV files using your suggestion, from a
> terminal window. This gave me:
>
>      sox: Can't open output file '/dev/dsp': Device or resource busy
>
> Then I opened Nautilus and double-clicked on a WAV file. This gave me:
>
>      There was an error identifying the audio
>      i/o layer. You will not be able to play or
>      record audio.
>      Error: Host error.
>
> Meantime, sound is working fine otherwise. RealPlayer happly plays
> streaming radio stations on the net. Totem plays movies just fine. The
> system beeps, honks and snorts at me as usual.
>
> I suspect a missing library. Or something else is missing.

Perhaps this information would have been useful in the first post. Several others have replied, none of them hit the issue though.

Your sound device is in use, or nonexistent. (/dev/dsp) This isn't a software or library issue. You may have another application using the sound device, or no driver loaded for your audio device. Most commonly this will be sound servers, like ESound or ARTS.

Once you kill whatever is using the sound (since you can watch movies, the sound driver must work) the wave files will play. Riff wave audio requires no decoding to play, so there's no issue there.

-Aaron