[PLUG] WAV files?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Thu Jul 6 22:13:41 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 13:55, alan wrote:
> Re: [PLUG] WAV files?
>  From: alan <alan at clueserver.org>
>  To: "General Linux/UNIX discussion and help; civil and on-topic"
<plug at lists.pdxlinux.org>

> On Thu, 6 Jul 2006, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
>
> > Perhaps this information would have been useful in the first post. Several
others have replied, none of them hit the issue though.

> > Your sound device is in use, or nonexistent. (/dev/dsp) This isn't a
software or library issue. You may have another application using the sound
device, or no driver loaded for your audio device. Most commonly this will be
sound servers, like ESound or ARTS.

> > Once you kill whatever is using the sound (since you can watch movies, the
sound driver must work) the wave files will play. Riff wave audio requires no
decoding to play, so there's no issue there.

> This should help you find it.
>
> /usr/sbin/lsof | grep /dev/dsp
>
> Also try "ls -l /dev/dsp" and see if it is actually there.
>
> This assumes you have lsof installed...
>
> It could be that the module for the sound card is not getting loaded.

Aaarg, once again god punishes grumpiness. I missed that, plus I've been
working with .wmv files and thought .wmv instead of wave. Sigh. Good catch.