[PLUG] local computer store

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Jul 7 17:43:12 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006, Bruce Kilpatrick wrote:

> Wil,
>
> According to the guys at ENU they just ceased one day last year.  I
> used to enjoy reading through that one and it just "poof" was gone.
> They must not have been able to sell enough ad space for a freebie
> newpaper.

<former-editor-rambling>

Although there has certainly been a decline in the number of locally
owned tech companies aimed at the consumer market (esp. hardware
vendors and ISPs), I think there are still enough to make a go at
something like the Bits. The local market probably wouldn't support
the 100-page magazines we were publishing in 1998 -- and no one would
get rich in the endeavor -- but I don't think it's impossible.

The former owner (and my boss), Paul Harwood, sold the magazine
sometime in 1999 or 2000. In his telling, the new owners alienated
many of the long-time customers.

He had financed the buyout, so when the new owners were unable to make
their payments, he "repossessed" the magazine. (I think this was in
the spring of 2004, but my memory is hazy.)

Unfortunately, Paul's main job demanded a lot of time, and I don't
think he was really up to the task of rebuilding all the goodwill and
infrastructure the magazine required. He'd spent 1991 to 1995
operating on a shoestring, and the sacrifices he faced to do it all
again were just (imo) too daunting.

FWIW, Portland is a great place for tech editing: solid local business
owners and a great stable of tech writers. But advertiser-supported
publishing is tough work, especially during ramp-up.

</former-editor-rambling>

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> www.madboa.com