[PLUG] The GIMP for Mechanical CAD?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 08:41:46 UTC 2006

What's up with this subject line?

# from Rogan Creswick
# on Friday 07 July 2006 06:21 pm:

>Inkscape ...
>It would be a better starting point if one were to build a CAD app.

If one were to build a CAD app, one would go nowhere near SVG.

PythonCAD is doing some interesting stuff, and has a less silly
interface than qcad.  There was a perlcad, but it seems to have
stalled.  IME, the worst part is getting a right-side-up coordinate
system in any GUI toolkit.  Tk::Zinc is interesting, but still clunky
WRT fonts.  I was thinking a good Perl binding to the Cairo canvas
would do the trick for CAD::Drawing, but I haven't had a chance to look
at it lately.

--Eric
--
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
--Albert Einstein