[PLUG] Firefox keyboard short cut mappings

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Thu Jul 13 14:08:27 UTC 2006

Kenneth G. Stephens wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 09:31 -0700, Eric Wilhelm wrote:
>
>># from Roderick A. Anderson
>># on Wednesday 12 July 2006 08:42 am:
>>

>>>Anyone know how to turn off specific key-mappings in Firefox
>>
>>A lot of secret settings (like not using the horizontal scroll for
>>back/forward, middle-click for new tab vs window, etc) are only
>>accessible via "about:config" (put that in the address bar.)  You have
>>to find the right variable and guess between 1, 2, 0, -1, etc. unless
>>you can find some documentation for it.  I'm not sure if there's
>>anything to do with key-mapping in there or not.
>>
>>--Eric
>

> You may want to examine the xmodmap command and setup up a wrapper
> around firefox remapping keys if it really bothers you that much.

I may do that since the only other (semi-)viable solution I've come
across is a serious hack job that will have to be done eveytime there is
a new release of Firefox.

This came up again as I was getting ready to make some entries in RT and
remembered the last two times I tried to make similar for the same
ticket.  I got most of the way through and -- because I ahd been using
emacs just before -- tried to do a ctrl-w to cut a chunk of text.  Lost
the whole d**n entry.
    I could change the emacs key-mappings but since it's been around
longer than Firefox/Mozilla and I've used it longer than I've had access
to the Internet I'll go for a change in the Firefox stuff.

I forget about xmodmap since the GUI for the most part works fine.

Thansk for the reminder.

Rod