[PLUG] Searching for Strings in PDF Files

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 14 16:34:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, 14 Jul 2006, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> [Sorry for breaking threading. I mistakenly deleted the original
> message in this thread...]

Paul,

   Threads are OK, wind is not OK. In an enclosed space.

> How about
>
>  for f in *.pdf; do
>    ps2ascii "$f" | grep yourSearchString >/dev/null && echo "$f"
>  done

   That'll do it, as long as the pdf can be converted by ps2ascii. Some
demand pstotext, and too many recently just will not disassemble. Perhaps
that's because the version of Adobe used to create them does things the
current versions of the linux tools cannot handle.

Thanks for the suggestion!