[PLUG] Laptop dust bunnies: was Ubuntu CDs arrove

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Sat Jul 15 18:37:03 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-15 at 07:33 -0700, Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> Wil Cooley wrote:
>
> > I've found that a little sewing machine oil on fans will greatly improve
> > them.  I've also got a $25 hand-held "dual action" vacuum that blows in
> > addition to sucking (huh-huh); much better than those stupid compressed
> > air cans.
>
> Watch out for static with plastic attachments on a vacuum cleaner. Air
> flowing through a plastic tube sets up a significant charge. I read
> something about this several years ago. The recommendation was to be
> sure to use a metal nozzle.

I wanted a blower instead of a vacuum specifically because a blower
works at a distance.  I'm sure there is a possibility of danger, but it
seemed the best option within my budget range.  There are, of course,
special multi-hundred dollar units that are free of static, but that's
not within my budget.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>