[PLUG] Command line tools to troubleshoot Samba

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Jul 16 02:20:44 UTC 2006

Last time I used Samba or file sharing between my Windows 2000 desktop
and my Ubuntu Dapper-64 laptop was about a week ago. It worked then.
Today neither can ping each other, not even using ip address.
Conclusion: Samba died. I have used Samba for ages and it always "just
worked."

Why it broke and how to fix it eludes me. The GUI is not helping. No
error messages; it just fails to display the folders. OK, Konqueror
does give me an error message -- "unable to establish connection
<crashing noise>." Not very helpful. The Windows computer just acts as
if it is the center of the universe and there is nothing beyond its
borders.

There are probably a ton of command line tools to troubleshoot this,
but I don't even know the name of the command(s) to ask for a man page
about, let alone google. Could someone give me a hint here?