[PLUG] Package management...

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jul 20 17:49:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006, plug_0 at robinson-west.com wrote:

> I'm trying to work with an evaluation copy of Redhat 8 and need to strip it
> down as much as possible.

WHY????

Redhat 8 is broken.  Redhat 9 fixed most of the brokeness of that version,
but not all of it.  If you have to use something that old, I suggest using
either Redhat 7.3 or Redhat 9.

Just don't put it out unprotected on the net.

As for package management, there are not any real useful tools for Redhat
8/9.  You might be able to build Yum for it.  All the older tools are a
headache and a half.

--
"I want to live just long enough to see them cut off Darl's head and
  stick it on a pike as a reminder to the next ten generations that some