[PLUG] udev status?

Eric Wilhelm scratchcomputing at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 21:26:59 UTC 2006

# from Carla Schroder
# on Thursday 20 July 2006 01:38 pm:

>Do all the major
>distributions use it now, or are there still some devfs holdouts?

Since "the final word" was said 2.5 years ago, I'm thinking "what's
devfs?"  I'm pretty sure I never had it on any system (except the
Gentoo one that didn't work right.)

  http://kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev_vs_devfs

> Somewheres I read that from kernel 2.6.13 on, you get only udev.

Was it here?

  http://kerneltrap.org/node/5340

Debian's udev started conflicting with their hotplug package and that
got me to the point where I can't switch between 2.6.9 and 2.6.(>11 or
so) without some rather painful cherry-picking of files (vs losing
wireless and maybe a few other pieces of hardware like the display.)

--Eric
--
"If you only know how to use a hammer, every problem begins to look like
a nail."