[PLUG] Suse 10.1 License question

Dale Zeutenhorst dale at call-dale.com
Thu Jul 20 14:57:45 UTC 2006

Just because I have a bad habit of reading these things ---  Does any
one know if the following is new in Suse 10.1 or not.

The part I am interested in is the "You may make and distribute
unlimited copies of the Software outside Your organization provided
that: 1) You receive no consideration; and, 2) you do not bundle or
combine the Software with another offering".

Being a consultant that enjoys eating and ....  I would rather not see this.

Following is the section that I quoted above:

RIGHTS AND LICENSES

This Novell Software License Agreement ("Agreement") is a legal
agreement between You (an entity or a person) and Novell, Inc.
("Novell") with respect to the software product identified in the
title of this Agreement, media (if any) and accompanying documentation
(collectively the "Software").

The Software is a collective work of Novell.  You may make and use
unlimited copies of the Software for Your distribution and use within
Your Organization.  You may make and distribute unlimited copies of
the Software outside Your organization provided that: 1) You receive
no consideration; and, 2) you do not bundle or combine the Software
with another offering (e.g., software, hardware, or service).  The
term "Organization" means a legal entity, excluding subsidiaries and
affiliates with a separate existence for tax purposes or for legal
personality purposes. An example of an Organization in the private
sector would be a corporation, partnership, or trust, excluding any
subsidiaries or affiliates of the organization with a separate tax
identification number or company registration number. In the public
sector, an example of Organization would be a specific government
body or local government authority.

The Software is a modular operating system.  Most of the components
are open source packages, developed independently, and accompanied by
separate license terms.  Your license rights with respect to
individual components accompanied by separate license terms are
defined by those terms; nothing in this Agreement (including, for
example, the "Other License Terms and Restrictions," below) shall
restrict, limit, or otherwise affect any rights or obligations You may
have, or conditions to which You may be subject, under such license
terms.

While the license terms for a component may authorize You to
distribute the component, You may not use any Novell marks (e.g., SUSE
and SUSE LINUX) in distributing the component, whether or not the
component contains Novell marks.