[PLUG] Off Topic: Moving to Portland

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Sun Jul 23 12:52:05 UTC 2006

Elliott Mitchell <ehem at m5p.com> wrote:

> This needs correction. Portland has good mass transit, if you're in
> downtown. If you're at a very common destination then it is decent. If
> you're going anywhere else Tri-Met (the public transit system) *sucks*,
> with the only plus side being that it is pretty clean; that though isn't
> the primary goal of a mass transit system. Specifically, in Beaverton or
> Tigard you'll want a car unless you get very lucky and manage to be
> directly on a bus route.
>
> It is quite possible to always stay within downtown and thus avoid
> Tri-Met's warts, but I'll have to rate Tri-Met pretty low due to lack of
> coverage anywhere but downtown. Perhaps New York's system is pretty
> dirty, but it will get you *anywhere* in New York *quickly*.

The land use patterns of the suburbs are hardly Trimet's fault.  When
Beaverton and Tigard achieve the population density of NY, I'm sure
Trimet's service levels will be there.

SE, NE, as well as close-in SW and NW all have good bus and light rail
coverage and frequency.  You don't have to live downtown to make
effective use of the system.  And how many places in the country can you
get real-time arrival information from your browser or cell phone?

galen