[PLUG] Re: Off Topic: Moving to Portland

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Mon Jul 24 01:18:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 19:12:04 -0400
Edward Terry <eterry at openboxbuilder.com> dijo:

> Does anyone know if a non-student can get a library card at PSU?  (Or at
> one of the other universities in the Portland area, for that matter.)
> I've lived near several universities; some allow members of the
> community to purchase library cards, while others won't even allow
> non-students in the door.

I don't think so, although anyone can use the library. The only
limitations are that the public can't check out books, rent study
rooms, or use the computer lab. However, you can access the Vikat
catalog even from your home, student or not. Just go to
http://www.pdx.edu/library/. Also, as far as I know, the staff would be
more than happy to answer questions and assist you, even if you are not
a student. I'm always asking a staff person how to find something, and
no one has ever asked me for my student ID before helping me.

Having said all that, you can enroll as a PSU student for $10. I think
you have to register for at least one course before you get library
privileges, though.

Another option would be to enroll at a different school that offers a
library card with fewer requirements (maybe one of the community
colleges). There is an inter-library deal where each school will honor
the other's library card. I can check out books from just about any
school in the northwest.

Oh, and it's not really a library card. It's just encoded in the
magnetic strip on your student ID card. At least, that's the way it is
at PSU.