[PLUG] OK, now I did it. Deleted /bin

Auke Kok sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Jul 24 20:30:04 UTC 2006

John Jason Jordan wrote:
> The computer is still running.
>
> I have two installations of Dapper-64. One is plain, bare installation on
> hda2, which is 60 GB (hda1 is swap). The second installation is the real
> one, on hda3 (8 GB). I have been tweaking, testing and installing on the
> second one (the hda3 installation). My plan was always to wipe out the
> first installation, then copy all files from the second installation to it
> so that my real installation would be on the 60 GB partition, leaving the
> second installation on the 8 GB partition as a rescue installation. Today I
> decided it was time to do so.

[lots of confusing information deleted]

let me get this straight:

1) you had 2 full installations (hda2, hda3)
2) one of them is broken (hda2)
3) the system boots/runs the broken one

All you need in this case is to manually reboot into the still intact
installation. That's as easy as booting `linux init=/bin/sh root=/dev/hda3`
assuming hda3 is the intact installation. After that you can mount && cp all
the stuff from the intact /bin to the broken install, and reboot back into it.

Cheers,

Auke