[PLUG] OK, now I did it. Deleted /bin

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jul 25 22:12:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 12:20:32 -0700
MJang <mike at mommabears.com> dijo:

> On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 21:13 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:11:54 -0700
> > John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:
> >
> > OMFG, I'm back. Whew!

> I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong, but if /bin is all you
> deleted and restored, all of your data should still be there.

As it turns out, even though the copy of /bin that I had was two months
old, almost everything worked exactly as before, including all the
programs installed last week with CrossOver Office. One thing that
didn't work was the video. I had installed the Nvidia proprietary
driver and Dapper puked on that when it booted, so I had to switch to
the nv driver. I haven't reinstalled the Nvidia driver yet. Oh, and
RealPlayer has a conflict with something. I fixed this once before, but
I can't remember how I did it. I know I got the how-to from somewhere
on an Ubuntu forum. Whatever I did to fix it must have ended up
in /bin, and more recently than two months ago, 'cause it ain't fixed
now.

Now I'm wrestling with tar and rsync. I just rsynced my entire setup to
the USB drive. However, I had to do it folder by folder because I
needed to exclude /media, and I couldn't get the --exclude= statment
right. That is a feature of rsync that is not very well documented. And
rsync hung on /sys. It just won't do it. It also gave me a bunch of
error messages about "the file has vanished" when I did /proc. I
haven't had time to research what this means. But I do now have an
almost complete image of this partition.

I also tried to tar the / directory, but had to abort it because I had
excluded /media, but it was proceeding to tar it anyway. I mean, /media
is where the USB disk is hanging. That can't work. It would be like
going back in time and killing your grandfather. So I gave up until I
have time to research the correct syntax for the --exclude statement.

Thanks again to all who helped. :)