[PLUG] Morning Slugishness

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Jul 26 16:01:58 UTC 2006

After several hours away from my machine, i.e. it's running but idling,
there is a delay of up to two or three seconds between clicking on a
running program's button at the bottom of the screen and the display of
that program's window. After a couple of minutes, response time returns
to normal. This effect grows gradually over a period of weeks (maybe
months?) to the point that it becomes annoying. I'm used to some delays
getting a program started, but once running they usually run fine.

Any ideas what causes this?

Hardware: Pentium II, 400 MHz, 192Mb RAM
Software: SuSE 9.1 (2.6 kernel), KDE 3.2
Applications running minimized:
   Thunderbird (checking for e-mail every 10 minutes - not downloading)
   Firefox
   Patience (card game)

--
Regards,