[PLUG] Morning Slugishness

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Wed Jul 26 18:00:19 UTC 2006

Jason Martin wrote:

> Is the delay from the applications being paged back in from swap?

Apparently. (See reply from Charlie).

> Is your hard drive grinding away while the delay occurs?

Not that I've noticed, but the machine is under the desk and the fan is
loud enough that I don't hear the hard drives.

> Perhaps a
> background cron job (does SuSE ship with slocate/updatedb enabled?) is
> hogging your memory causing your idle apps to be paged out?

I've never looked before (he says somewhat sheepishly). I see from the
following that updatedb is enabled, but on a daily basis. I also see
that there is at least one useless feature, a battery check, so I'll
investigate further and see what each of these things does.

rsteff at dhcppc4:/etc> ls cron*
crontab

cron.d:
yast2-online-update

cron.daily:
clean_catman  suse.de-backup-rc.config  suse.de-clean-vi
clean_core    suse.de-backup-rpmdb      suse.de-cron-local
do_mandb      suse.de-check-battery     tetex
logrotate     suse.de-clean-tmp         updatedb

cron.hourly:

cron.monthly:

cron.weekly:
rsteff at dhcppc4:/etc>