[PLUG] Debian doesn't detect my DVD-Burner on my new Laptop

Robert Jeffrey Miesen bobby_miesen at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 28 04:42:10 UTC 2006

Hi all.

	I recently had the misfortune of having to replace my old laptop because the costs of repairing it were too great to warrent it and purchased a new Toshiba A105-S4074. Everything works well with one exception---debian doesn't detect my DVD-Burner. I tried using 'discover' 'lshw', 'report_hw' and none of them even detect my DVD-Burner.
	I'm not sure why this is, since I test-ran Knoppix v4 on the floor model before I purchased the new laptop and it ran fine, reading from the DVD-Burner with no problems. I also was able to run moodle off my DVD-Burner. However, when I tried to run disk 1 of the Debian v3.1 "etch" DVD set, it could start up the installer, but the installer could not detect my DVD-Burner. The same holds true for my installed copy of Debian.

	Can anyone shed some light onto what might be causing this annoying situation and how I might fix it? The DVD-Burner in question is what Toshiba calls a "DL DVD SuperMulti" and I am running linux v2.6.16-2-686-smp. Thanks in advance.