[PLUG] Install Dapper and it hangs

Ted Kubaska tkubaska at charter.net
Sat Jul 29 02:19:23 UTC 2006

Thanks for responding, John.

I downloaded PC(Intel X86) server install CD from ubuntu.com. I got a file
called ubuntu-6.06-server-i386.iso, which I burned to a CD.

I then made a virtual machine at www.easyvmx.com just as I did for Breezy,
choosing "Ubuntu Linux" -- there was no version indicator there.

Then I put the CD I made into my drive clicked on the virtual machine and
the install started. It got to the point where it said to remove the CD,
which I did. Then I clicked on Continue to boot without the CD. It then
hangs at ...booting the kernel.

I also downloaded and burned a Live CD (the file
ubunto-6.06-desktop-i386.iso) which works. However, I see the same problem
when I try to install from the Live CD. I then killed VMWare and booted the
virtual machine (the one from the Live CD which was not comletely
installed). Ubuntu did come up then. However, this version from the Live CD
does not have my max screen resolution. If I look at Preferences ... Screen
Resolution my resolution (which I can get with Breezy) does not appear in
the dropdown list. With this version (which I dont want to keep because of
the resolution issue) I did update with those initial 132 updates).

 -Ted