[PLUG] Laserjet 8000

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Sat Jul 29 20:49:01 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 13:02, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:26:48 -0700
> Aaron Ten Clay <aaron at madebyai.com> dijo:
>
> > On Saturday 29 July 2006 11:08, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > If anyone on this list is printing to a Laserjet 8000, I'd like to know which driver and setup you're using.
> >
> > I'm not personally, but I'm almost certain that model is supported by HPLIP, which integrates with CUPS. From the web administration interface when you add the printer, if you select HP and the model you need isn't listed, I recommend installing HPLIP (HP Linux Imaging and Printing) through whatever system your distro provides for packages.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion. Already have HPLIP installed. And several
> more related packages. And all the PPD files. And CUPS.
>
> I can print to it just fine. The problem is being unable to access a
> key feature of the printer that I need. The feature is printing
> multiple copies collated without concatenating individual print jobs to
> a massive spool file ("RIP once, print many"). I've spent hours and
> hours googling and experimenting. No luck so far. I can print to it
> with this feature just fine from my Windows 2000 desktop, which is
> using the same PPD file.
>
> I am hoping to find someone who has accomplished this.

Ah, I've used the feature you speak of. I'm almost certain this feature is implemented by the driver itself in Windows, not anything printer-specific. However, I've not seen such a feature using HPLIP before. The Canon BJC-4400 Gutenprint driver has a setting for this, available in the CUPS web interface. If your driver had such a setting, that's where you'd find it.

I'm not an expert on printing, but it may be possible to print to a postscript file and use some nifty commandline tools to seperate each page into it's own file, then queue each individual file the same number of times.

I've seen lots of folks on the list reference the postscript tool suite, perhaps one of them knows how this would be possible, if it is.

-Aaron