[PLUG] CUPS postscript/config problems

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Sat Jul 29 20:55:46 UTC 2006

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006, David Fleck wrote:
> (Just to get it out of the way, I'll start by saying I loathe CUPS.
> Printing used to be simple for me back in the lpd days - now it's a
> byzantine pain in the ass.)
[...]

To respond to my own posting, I was able to solve this problem.  It turns
out that the version of ghostscript (8.15.0) that OpenSuSE 10.0 installs
can't handle certain postscript constructs (the developers considered them
'nonstandard').  The answer was to upgrade to gs 8.15.2, and that seems to
have solved that problem.

The second problem was a config error; the lesson learned, basically, was
"don't filter output on the client machine and then filter it again on the
print server machine".

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com