[PLUG] Converting Cassettes to computer files

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Sun Jul 30 22:53:35 UTC 2006

John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I'v been using lame with -vbr (variable bit rate). While I've been
> generally satisfied, sometimes the fidelity of the resulting piece is
> not as good as the original CD. Usually that happens when the CD wasn't
> too great in the first place. I've never tried BladeEnc. Do you
> consider it better?

I never tried lame. The machine I use for audio is in the basement and I
connect to it either with ssh from my Linux machine or with putty from
one of my Winders machines. In either case, I'm not using an X
environment and so I'm not using GUI tools.

> I guess one of the reasons I've never used it is because it's not
> listed in Synaptic (just checked).

One possible reason could be the patent issue BladeEnc ran into several
years ago. High up on Google for Linux's list on BladeEnc is the following:

Slashdot | Bladeenc Under Patent Attack
Bladeenc Under Patent Attack -- article related to Patents.
slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=00/06/01/1826246&mode=thread

The page dates back to 2000, but I would guess that the issue never went
away. The source code remains available, but binaries were taken down.
So, if Snyaptic only pulls in binaries, there wouldn't be any available.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens