[PLUG] Converting Cassettes to computer files

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Mon Jul 31 17:47:00 UTC 2006

On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:46:53AM -0700, John Purser wrote:
> Has anyone on this list played one full side of a tape into a
> computer, then used a program to break out the individual songs?

I've used 'mp3splt' with reasonable success in the past. It basically
listens for quiet spots and splits the file accordingly. Sometimes it
goofs, but if you don't mind fiddling a bit, you can "tune" it to
better suit the sort of audio you're working with. Note that it only
works with pre-existing MP3/Ogg files, so you'd have to do the capture
and initial encoding some other way.

  Mp3Splt is a command line utility to split MP3 (VBR supported) and
  Ogg Vorbis files into smaller files without decoding. Useful for
  splitting albums, either manually, using freedb.org data, or .cue
  files and for splitting based on length or on periods of silence in
  the file.

<http://mp3splt.sourceforge.net/mp3splt_page/home.php>

--
Paul