[PLUG] Converting Cassettes to computer files

Tim Slighter tcslighter at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 17:59:49 UTC 2006

On 7/31/06, Paul Mullen <pm at nellump.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 30, 2006 at 07:46:53AM -0700, John Purser wrote:
> > Has anyone on this list played one full side of a tape into a
> > computer, then used a program to break out the individual songs?
>
> I have been experimenting with numerous tools for years on end and without
much luck yet.  I will probably get decapitated for this on a PLUG mailing
list but the best cheap tool that I have found so far that can capture a
full cassette or LP and convert them into MP3
is a windows based application called "Audiograbber".  Be warned
though, the record volume usually comes across pretty high so the
volume
and sometimes distortion will be fairly high in comparison to your
normal songs.  Audiograbber does offer some plugins like denoise and a
few others
but don't waste your money on them as they are very worthless and do almost
nothing to improve the quality of the recording.  I believe you need to pick
up the LAME encoder to use the line sampling in feature.

Anyone out there that has found a linux based one please let everyone know
as I will be very excited to try it out.