[PLUG] syntax trees

alan alan at clueserver.org
Thu Jun 1 17:10:18 UTC 2006

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Eric Wilhelm wrote:

> # from John Jason Jordan
> # on Thursday 01 June 2006 07:50 am:
>
>> I can do syntax trees in OO.o, but it's tedious. Treeform is written
>> in Java, and it is supposed to run on Linux. I "installed" it, but
>> can't figure out how to launch it.
>
> Have you tried Dia?  Maybe also Inkscape (>= 0.43 has connectors.)
>
> But if you really want to graph some serious trees, anything is tedious
> compared to graphviz.  No GUI though, but maybe worth a look if you're
> thinking of getting your 64bits worth.

Not very pretty output either, but it works.

>  http://www.graphviz.org/
>
> The great thing about it is that you can generate the dot language
> programmatically.

There are a couple of Perl modules that handle Graphviz.

The problem with Graphviz is that generating large graphs can be difficult
to display and even harder to read.  (They start looking like an
invocation to the Flying Spaghetti Monster.)  I generated one graph that
turned into a png file large enough that it required a couple of gigs of
ram to display it properly.  (You can generate the graph as PostScript,
but then you get to play jigsaw puzzle with the printer output.) Most
imageviewers choke on a 1,800 x 23,800 pixel png file.

> Maybe you could write it in Latin?
>
> http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Lingua-Romana-Perligata-0.50/lib/Lingua/Romana/Perligata.pm
>
> Also, install this one:
> http://search.cpan.org/~ingy/HashBang-Lingua-Romana-Perligata-0.10/
>
> So your Latin scripts can start with:
>
>  #!/usr/bin/perligata

Mayan is more fun to print.

--
"Waiter! This lambchop tastes like an old sock!" - Sheri Lewis