[PLUG] Small Footprint CMS systems

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jun 3 05:42:57 UTC 2006

Last night at the general PLUG meeting we had a little bit of
discussion about Content Management Systems (CMS).  Somebody
mentioned the sites http://cmsmatrix.org/ and http://cmswatch.org/
Interesting review sites, and a lot of data.  Thanks for the tip!
Not much size/resource/speed data, though.

I have an opportunity to deploy a very simple CMS for an educational
non-profit locally; there was an offer to host it on a Plone server
last night.  One portion of the sub-site may be maintained by middle
school students, and Plone's granular permission structure and
workflow management would be ideal.

Also Plone is built on Zope and on Python, and while my heart
belongs to Perl, I suspect Perl and Python and Ruby are all a
little more tolerant of spotty security upgrades than the PHP
that the vast majority of the open source CMS's seem to be
written on.  Maybe "good" PHP is secure, but how does one judge
the goodness of PHP code in a CMS?

If that Plone server offer doesn't work out, and the site must go
on a low cost virtual server, there will likely not be enough RAM to
run a big footprint CMS like Plone.  I was wondering if there are
any CMS's out there that have the same workflow as Plone, but are
known to have a small memory footprint.  Any suggestions?

Keith

PS - Assuming Apache and mail server and such are loaded, "footprint"
means how much more RAM is gobbled up when the CMS and supporting
tools are loaded, compared to when they are not.  Not a difficult
test, but quantitative (count the megabytes) as compared to "I have
a GByte of RAM and I don't notice it" kinds of non-answers.