[PLUG] Mounting iPod, gtkpod, and permissions

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Jun 3 06:45:13 UTC 2006

I finally managed to get my iPod reformatted with FAT32. iTunes on
Windows can place files on it. However, I can't find the magic
combination to get it mounted on Linux with appropriate permissions so
gtkpod can read and write to it.

I can mount it and unmount it just fine. But when I try to sync music
files to it with gtkpod I get various error messages, all indicating
that writing to or reading from the iPod failed. Sometimes the error
messages says I don't have permission. The reason I say there are
various error messages is because I have tried various things and each
one gives me somewhat different errors. It appears, however, that the
main problem (probably the only problem) is permissions and ownership.
I dimly recall going through this before.

It is /dev/sda2 mounted at /media/iPod.

Fixing it eludes me. I opened Krusader as root and peered at
the /media/iPod folder. Originally it said that it was owned by root
and that no one could read/write to it but root. Now, that doesn't make
a lot of sense to me. Before the recent disasters at the Apple store I
was able to read/write to it just fine with gtkpod once I mounted it,
and that was as just plain ol' user jjj.

Another issue that confluxes me is that it is now formatted FAT32. I
thought FAT32 had no ability to handle permissions and ownership.

Konqueror indicated that root was the owner of /media/iPod. I always
log in as jjj, so I changed the ownership to jjj. However, that seems
to be of little or no use.

Amy suggestions for being able to talk to it?